Sunday, January 20, 2008

I'm covered for Carbon Exchange

Are you covered for carbon exchange? Meaning, have you come up with a plan to exchange the carbon you produce through living a modern life? Well, I think I am already covered. My Dad has been working diligently to make sure that our family is carbon neutral. Meaning, all of the carbon we put into the air is taken back out of the air. He has decided to do it by planting trees. According to the Carbon Exchange calculator at http://www.trees.co.za/, Our family needs to plant around 16 trees to stay carbon neutral. So, he has planted 8 Papaya trees, 5 mango trees, a rubber tree, a taotaomona tree, and a heck of a lot of shrubs. Plans are in the works for more Papaya trees, a few more fruit trees, and lots of pepper bushes. I would strongly encourage you to do your part as well, so there is a somewhat normal world for me to grow up in. If you have the room, plant your own trees. Why not plant your own fruit trees or maybe grow your own Christmas trees? It seems that any goofball with a shovel, water, and some space can grow a tree. Otherwise, donate to the website that you did your calculation at and have your bourgeois lifestyle supported by an African. After all, why not drive your oversized SUV and help villagers in Africa help themselves? I believe it is a much better choice than driving a Prius.

No comments: