Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Boonie Dogs and My Health


As my date of birth quickly approaches, I been pondering some things, as you know if you've been reading my blog. Today, I wondered, will I be allergic to the flea bag my parents insist on keping in our house? According to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, allergies to dogs or cats occur in approximately 15% of the population. But, the Academy also says that there are steps to take lesson my chances of an allergy:
  • We spend from one third to one half of our time in our bedrooms. By keeping the animals out of the bedrooms at all times, we can greatly reduce the symptoms of pet allergies. (No chance of that, that nipper has been at the foot of the bed all its life)
  • Install a good "HEPA" air cleaner. (Check)
  • Close the ducts to the bedrooms and use electric heaters. (No problems there, no heaters)
  • Clean and vacuum regularly. (Check)
  • Bathe your pet weekly. (Check and Check)
  • Do not allow your pet on the furniture. (No chance of this happening, the dog can jump over the couch without touching it, you can't keep her off of anything)
  • Do not allow your pet in your car. Or use car seat covers when your pet is in the car. (Good, I don't want to ride with drools a lot anyway)
  • Brush your pet daily and use an allergy-reducing spray such as Allerpet. ( Say what? Where to I find that on an isalnd that doesn't have fresh milk?)
  • Keep your pet's skin healthy by feeding a good multivitamin and a fatty acid supplement. (Check)
  • Encourage the pet to spend more time outdoors. (Yes, absolutely)
  • Wash your hands after handling the pet, his toys, bed, etc. (Or where gloves when handling me)
  • See your physician and discuss possible immunotherapy or medications. (Or, leave the dog on the other side of the island)

No comments: