Sunday, February 3, 2008

Our house is on the corner of the block, not in the middle of our street.

I'm learning a lot about how my mind will work one day from my Mom and Dad. Wait, let me back this up a little bit. You see, for the past several days, my parents have been walking around a lot in some lame attempt to get me to come out early. I'm on to that plan, and I'm hangin' tough Opa. Anyway, they are walking a lot, mostly near the house as Mom is moving as fast as a slug in molasses in January (look at me, I'm combining similies, and at such a young age). So, lots of trips around the block, almost.

You see, our block dead ends into jungle, so you can't actually walk around the block, so see have been treading a u shape. While discussing this unusual route one night my parents began commiserating about how hard it is to teach geography to kids that have little to no idea about city blocks, street signs, etc, etc, etc (to be explained in another blog). Then, my father got off on a tangent about how he even had a hard time explaining to kids about where we live, two blocks from school and how adults here really can't comprehend those verbal directions either. Then the topic came up about water bottle delivery (also another topic for another blog) and how my Dad couldn't explain that our house was on the corner of the block, because the concept of city blocks just doesn't exist in Oceania outside of Australia and New Zealand. Then came the weird connection, he said that it should be easy to find our house because it is on the corner, and the other house on the block is on the other corner with no house in the middle of our street.

That is when my father had an ephipany. "Oh, that's what that Madness song means", he said like he had just discovered the cure for cancer or how to make an everlasting gobstopper. "They don't mean the house is literally in the middle of the street, they mean it is half way down the block. Wow, how did it take me this long to figure that out, like 25 years, did you know that?." To which my Mom responded, "Yeah, Duh, I think everybody got that but you!" Then my Dad went to to explain that he felt like it was the time when he was 18 that my Aunt Maggie had to explain that "Relax" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood was a blue song (btw, Aunt Maggie, can you e-mail me about that one, he really didn't go into details).

So you see, isn't funny how the adult mind works. Things that are somewhat random are connected in the most unusual ways. Or, maybe my father is just a little cracked, who knows? Anyway, I will let you decide for yourself, I have included the song "Our House" in a player at the end of the post, just in case you've had better things to do in the last 26 years than listen to watered down ska music from England.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our house is on the corner, but it is curved and there there is only one house on our side of the street and it is our house. How do we explain that?


Beth